Resetting RaidStats Highscore/Ranking lists(?)

Reset RaidStats Highscore/Ranking lists? Will either happen 22/3 or 29/3.

Yes
56%
No
39%
Unsure
6%

Total votes : 88

Re: Resetting RaidStats Highscore/Ranking lists(?)

Postby Dilatazu » 20 Mar 2016, 02:00

noodle wrote:Every solution other than nuking all the data seems like it would be a lot of work, and if you aren't open to doing "a lot of work" why did you even ask for peoples suggestions?

The best solution that preserves what people care about most is simply nuking the data prior to Blackwing Lairs release on nostalrius.

Also, you can nuke all Zul'Gurub raids because they are completely irrelevant regardless of when they were recorded, the same as Onyxia and maybe even Molten Core.

What % of the data is from Onyxia and Zul'Gurub?

Why i am asking for peoples suggestions is because the only reason the website is still running is because of people wanting me to keep it running.
If people want to get involved and put in the work to make realmplayers work then be my guest.
But if people are not helping out with all the work required to keep it running then they have no say if the site stays up or not.
I gain nothing from keeping the site up, the donations have covered the server costs which i am grateful for, but it is nowhere close paying for the time i put in.
And i recently had to put in a lot of hours to keep the site from collapsing. Had i not done it RealmPlayers would not be running at all right now.

I want to make sure people understand the problems and give options on how we can improve it.
This does not mean that i am willing to go back to spending my entire weekends and free time working. I just simply am done doing that.
It is like asking someone to go clean bathrooms their entire weekends and they get nothing paid for it. Would you do that?

I have no idea how much % is onyxia and ZG. I dont think it would be much though.
Dilatazu
Site Admin

Postby noodle » 20 Mar 2016, 02:06

Dilatazu wrote:
noodle wrote:Every solution other than nuking all the data seems like it would be a lot of work, and if you aren't open to doing "a lot of work" why did you even ask for peoples suggestions?

The best solution that preserves what people care about most is simply nuking the data prior to Blackwing Lairs release on nostalrius.

Also, you can nuke all Zul'Gurub raids because they are completely irrelevant regardless of when they were recorded, the same as Onyxia and maybe even Molten Core.

What % of the data is from Onyxia and Zul'Gurub?

Why i am asking for peoples suggestions is because the only reason the website is still running is because of people wanting me to keep it running.
If people want to get involved and put in the work to make realmplayers work then be my guest.
But if people are not helping out with all the work required to keep it running then they have no say if the site stays up or not.
I gain nothing from keeping the site up, the donations have covered the server costs which i am grateful for, but it is nowhere close paying for the time i put in.
And i recently had to put in a lot of hours to keep the site from collapsing. Had i not done it RealmPlayers would not be running at all right now.

I want to make sure people understand the problems and give options on how we can improve it.
This does not mean that i am willing to go back to spending my entire weekends and free time working. I just simply am done doing that.
It is like asking someone to go clean bathrooms their entire weekends and they get nothing paid for it. Would you do that?

I have no idea how much % is onyxia and ZG. I dont think it would be much though.

zg is the longest instance, done by the most people, the most often

how wouldnt it be much?
for instance, my guild does 1 bwl per week and at a point we were doing 6-9 zgs every single week for months, all being uploaded
noodle

Postby Dilatazu » 20 Mar 2016, 02:31

noodle wrote:zg is the longest instance, done by the most people, the most often

how wouldnt it be much?
for instance, my guild does 1 bwl per week and at a point we were doing 6-9 zgs every single week for months, all being uploaded

Approx
6400 of BWL raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... WL&page=64
8900 of MC raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... MC&page=89
9400 of Onyxia raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... ny&page=94
7700 of ZG raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... ZG&page=77

Last time i checked ZG + Ony is still less bosses than MC. Also it is only 20 players in each ZG raid, so you can half the raid amount.
But yeah maybe you have a point, in the future some day it will be a lot of % of the data.

But it wont solve the main problem, neither will resetting everything. But atleast it does not require a lot of work.

Either way this was a "yes" and "no" question. if majority votes "no" i will not reset the database. But it is innevitable that it will start getting corrupt and get rollbacks which may mean days of data gets missing every now and then. Or worst case that everything would have to be reset randomly one day without warning.
Dilatazu
Site Admin

Postby noodle » 20 Mar 2016, 02:36

Dilatazu wrote:
noodle wrote:zg is the longest instance, done by the most people, the most often

how wouldnt it be much?

Approx
6400 of BWL raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... WL&page=64
8900 of MC raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... MC&page=89
9400 of Onyxia raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... ny&page=94
7700 of ZG raids
http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidL ... ZG&page=77

Last time i checked ZG + Ony is still less bosses than MC. Also it is only 20 players in each ZG raid, so you can half the raid amount.
But yeah maybe you have a point, in the future some day it will be a lot of % of the data.

But it wont solve the main problem, neither will resetting everything. But atleast it does not require a lot of work.

Either way this was a "yes" and "no" question. if majority votes "no" i will not reset the database. But it is innevitable that it will start getting corrupt and get rollbacks which may mean days of data gets missing every now and then. Or worst case that everything would have to be reset randomly one day without warning.

Solution seems simple then. Delete 9400 Onyxia Raids, 7700 ZG Raids and you reduce the database size even assuming each onyxia is 30 people and each ZG is 20. You could then go even further and delete the 8900 Molten Core raids and reduce it by even more, because being real who really cares about MC highscores and MC Averages. The loss of the speed clears sucks but not much you can do about it, considering MC is so irrelevant.
noodle

Postby Dilatazu » 20 Mar 2016, 02:41

noodle wrote:Solution seems simple then. Delete 9400 Onyxia Raids, 7700 ZG Raids and you reduce the database size even assuming each onyxia is 30 people and each ZG is 20. You could then go even further and delete the 8900 Molten Core raids and reduce it by even more

Most solutions are always simple when you dont consider work to be a factor. Also i dont think all people agree with your opinion that we could just ditch ZGs and MCs.

So far i think removing everything that is X months and older is the best solution. Where X is between 2 and 5 months.
Just need someone to actually put in the work for it. Are you willing? Last time i asked you to do some work you just said "cba" and continued to whine.
Dilatazu
Site Admin

Postby Soyoen » 20 Mar 2016, 02:43

The question that should be considered is what you believe raidstats core function is and should be for the future. After you've determined that then it is only a question of how this matter should be fully resolved now and for the future, as in (from my perspective) making sure that raidstats is a site easy to manage and/or self sustained. I do not wish for anyone to go in and delete X amount of Y raids every Z months, I'd want that shit automated but then again - I'd have no idea how to make that happen. Hopefully it can be resolved.
Soyoen

Postby noodle » 20 Mar 2016, 02:49

Dilatazu wrote:
noodle wrote:Solution seems simple then. Delete 9400 Onyxia Raids, 7700 ZG Raids and you reduce the database size even assuming each onyxia is 30 people and each ZG is 20. You could then go even further and delete the 8900 Molten Core raids and reduce it by even more

Most solutions are always simple when you dont consider work to be a factor. Also i dont think all people agree with your opinion that we could just ditch ZGs and MCs.

So far i think removing everything that is X months and older is the best solution. Where X is between 2 and 5 months.
Just need someone to actually put in the work for it. Are you willing? Last time i asked you to do some work you just said "cba" and continued to whine.

Well I have no idea how databases work but asking me to find myself and 5 others and get them to sign some sort of petition to delete cheaters from realmplayers that are obviously cheating is just retarded.

It's obvious you're set on deleting the data and I'm sure some people know why but I won't say here.
noodle

Postby Dilatazu » 20 Mar 2016, 03:00

noodle wrote:
Dilatazu wrote:

Well I have no idea how databases work but asking me to find myself and 5 others and get them to sign some sort of petition to delete cheaters from realmplayers that are obviously cheating is just retarded.

It's obvious you're set on deleting the data and I'm sure some people know why but I won't say here.

Are you accusing me of being biased/corrupt? Wow... You really have no idea how i have ran this service so far if you are even close to thinking that.
Il give you a hint if you have not read threads. I have not played wow for a year and the only wow contact i keep in touch with is Sethzer.
I literally do not give a shit about who is topping any of the lists.

The only reason i ask for petition etc is because i do not want this service to be be biased by any chance. I do not want to make a decision that could be seen as biased.
If the majority vote is "no" there is no way i would reset the highscore/ranking list. It really sucks that anyone would think otherwise.
Dilatazu
Site Admin

Postby Mathystra » 20 Mar 2016, 03:48

Nuking more than, say, 6 months old is probably the best solution that doesn't require a crazy amount of work, if you can bring yourself to do that.
You could also scrap ZG recordings completely (or put a shorter timer on nuking them) if you wanna save more spare, since most people will agree those are less useful.

Either of these would be a much better solution than nuking everything or waiting for an eventual collapse resulting in loss of data.
Mathystra

Postby noodle » 20 Mar 2016, 03:57

I'm sorry for accusing you then but if deleting all raids before a certain date is a lot of work then I don't see a viable solution other than letting it continue until it truly breaks or resetting it which no one wants to happen.
noodle

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions